If you have completed your degree abroad

...please note that foreign degrees must first be assessed for their equivalence to German university degrees before you can be accepted as a doctoral candidate. As, depending on the country in question, the Zentralstelle für Ausländisches Bildungswesen (ZAB, Central Office for Foreign Education) in Bonn may take several weeks to do this, you should submit certified copies of the relevant documents to them as early as possible.